Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Texture in Design Workshop’ Category

 

This was a classroom topic where we had to create two header graphics using textures and brushes in Photoshop.

We had a choice of seven titles, I chose Victorian Underworld and Fabric Frenzy

I sourced and downloaded appropriate images from the Web and then assembled and layered them in Photoshop.

Fabric Frenzy

I searched for vintage 50s fabric, downloaded the images I liked. I created a header template in Photoshop at the following dimensions 800 x 250 pixels.

I dragged and dropped the fabric images into this template creating several layers, which I then arranged into bands of varying thicknesses. I added a new layer containing a single white band across the width of the banner to which text was added. The white band stopped the text from disappearing into the fabric and broke up the stripes which were a bit overpowering. I also added thin white lines between the fabrics to stop them merging into each other. I chose a font from the fonts already installed on the computer. I wanted one which had a fifties feel to it and thought Nueva Standard fitted the bill (it was actually designed in 1994). An alternative  version was created using a font downloaded from a free font website. I specified a fifties style and came across Dick Van Dyke which seem appropriate. However I prefer the first version as I feel the font has a classier feel to it.

fabric frenzy header
First version
fabric frenzy header second version
Second version

Victorian Underworld

This had to be a more moody header to reflect the subject matter. I used the same header template as for Fabric Frenzy and dragged in images found on the web as separate layers. I used a Victorian map of Whitechapel, London and a photo of a wet cobbled street. I also created a Photoshop brush from a texture image of a paint splatter. I downloaded an old fashioned looking handwritten free font called Jefferson. I manipulated the images using layer tools such as overlay and multiple until I was happy with the effect. In the first version I added a background fill of red which bleeds through the separate layers apart from the text layer, but changed this in the second version to an orange fill to try and suggest gaslight. It also allows the red band along the Whitechapel Road which gives a more subtle effect than the blanket red of the previous version.

Victorian Underworld header
First version

 

Victorian Underworld header 2
Second version

 

Read Full Post »